Here's what we know:
- Picasso helped create Cubism, an art form that takes an object and breaks it down into its simplest shapes--cubes, rectangles, spheres, triangles, cones--and puts them back together in an abstract way.
- African masks amazed him. He used them in his paintings and started collecting masks.
- He was from Spain, but moved to France where he did most of his work. His dad was an artist as well. His mother claimed his first word was "piz piz" short for the Spanish word lapiz meaning pencil
- He used objects around him and put them inside his paintings.
- He was not just a painter, but also a sculptor.