A week or so ago was Fire Prevention week, and our homeschool group organized a field trip to the base's fire station.
Cory was thrilled with this field trip--definitely right up his alley.
We walked around the station checking out the different trucks,
looking at the equipment and picking it up to see how heavy everything is,
and seeing where the firefighters spend their days on duty. As our tour wrapped up, a crew headed out with their truck for a visit to the base day care, and they obliged us with some flashing lights and sirens-it was loud.
The firefighters host a big event every year at the end of Fire Prevention Week. This has been and continues to be a highlight for our kids for two main reasons. The first is they demonstrate how they rip apart cars in order to extricate victims--breaking windows, peeling away pieces of metal, etc. Perhaps more exciting than the jaws of life, though, is their big demonstration showing all of us why you should never, ever, ever try to put out a grease fire with water...
Here we have small little grease fire, made by heating up your standard canola oil in a skillet
And here's what happens when the firefighter pours less than a cup of water onto the flames
Obviously, this is one of those "Don't try this at home" moments. Can you imagine that flame in your kitchen? Frightening