Pages

Monday, March 1, 2010

Aww, Mom, Why Can't I Stab Them?

Teaching a boy is never boring. At least, teaching my boy isn't. Let me see if I can relate today's experience...

Cory's phonics program has him marking vowels and blends in his words. Currently he's identifying one-vowel words with a short vowel sound like in the word 'cat', two-vowel words with a long vowel sound like in the word 'like' , and short words with a long vowel sound like in the word 'go.' Among other things, in the long vowel words, he is supposed to cross out the vowel that is silent. Today he thought it would be much more fun to stab the silent vowels.


These, he told me, were spears. When I suggested he not do that, he seemed quite disappointed. Who would have thought I would hear these words, "Aww, Mom! Why can't I stab them?" Then I decided he had found a way to make this task a little more fun, and I surely didn't want to discourage that. That's what those silly vowels get for refusing to make any sounds in our words! Luckily, he's at a school where he won't get suspended for drawing "weapons" on his school work.

This reminds me of the beginning of the school year, when all his O's were written with the sound of bombs exploding. Boys.

Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

wildcatfanva said...

Boys are very different from girls...Who knew! :) Let him stab them I say!

The Davidson Den said...

Ha! He'll never forget the phonetic rule!! That's all that matters...