Pages

Friday, July 9, 2010

Famous Last Words

As we mentioned in the last post, our family decided to jump on the bandwagon and go see the Boston fireworks display on the 4th of July. Honestly, until the moment we got in the van to leave, we had no intentions of going to any fireworks, much less the big Boston display. For a week my friend and neighbor had talked about doing the fireworks in Boston with her family who was visiting from out of state, and everytime we talked about it I was quick to mention that they show it on TV, and that's where I'd be seeing them from--in the conmfort of my own home with the best seats in the house.



There was absolutely NO way we were going to attempt to see them live and in person.



NO way.



I mean, you know there are thousands upon thousands of people all in the same place, right?



And if that wasn't enough to deter us, Lucy very much dislikes fireworks. Very Much. Just this past April, she and I hid out in the gift shop at Disney World during the fireworks show. But, you say, that was several months ago, maybe she grew out of it. Well, not so much. Just the week before the base had a fireworks display, and, even though we were at home, in our Circle, she still wigged out, and ended up hiding in her bedroom. She wouldn't even watch the show from her window. So, it's a pretty safe bet to say that Lucy wouldn't like one of the longest, most celebrated fireworks displays in the country.



But we have three other kids--who do like to watch them. So, we sat on our porch swing discussing what to do that evening. Watch the fireworks on tv? Try out the neighboring town's show? Send just a partial contingent, leaving Lucy and a parent at home? And then it hit me...



Next year we'll be in Italy for the 4th. This is our last year in Boston--our last chance to see it. How could we not?



So, we texted my friend--the one who I had made incessant fun of all week long. "Got room for us?" I asked.

to be continued...

No comments: