Pages

Saturday, April 2, 2011

Art Project

Many moons ago, when Riley and Mary Beth were at Hanscom Primary, their art teacher did a lesson with them on Eric Carle's artwork from his well-loved children's books.  The art they brought home from those projects are some of my favorite and are proudly displayed in frames in our house. 

Riley explained to me the method they used, and I've always had in the back of my mind that someday we would try it...yesterday was the day.

First, the kids painted whole sheets of paper with a color or two, using brushes, toilet paper tubes and other recycles to create texture.  I failed to get pictures of this process as well as the painted papers hanging to dry on the clothesline.  That would have been a beautiful picture--it looked like a rainbow. 

Next we cut the paper pieces to create a picture collage (I did the cutting so that we would not waste the paper).

Riley made some eggs hidden in blades of grass, Mary Beth made some tulips, and Lucy a butterfly.

Cory, not surprisingly to his mother, wanted to create a detailed nightime city-scape with a bridge, car, airplane, moon, water, skyline--aye yi yi, I'm not that good!  But together we managed. 

Then the girls each made an additional picture. 

And I was left to clean up the mess.  :)

Since this was all Eric Carle inspired, I insisted that they each make a Very Hungry Caterpillar.  They turned out so CUTE!! 

Here are their their masterpieces framed for our ever expanding home art gallery.

No comments: