Pages

Monday, October 27, 2008

Rim to River

This past weekend I was able to spend a night away at a Ladies' Retreat with the Protestant Women of the Chapel. We drove north a couple of hours to White River Junction, Vermont. While we were there we spent a little time shopping, a little time hiking, a little time leaf peeping and a little time fellowshipping (is that even a word?). I showed restraint and purchased nothing!


Only a few days earlier I asked Ted to recount his Rim to River hiking story...for those of you who don't know, he spent his last spring break on a trip with his best friend, Jeffy. Among other things, they hiked the Grand Canyon Rim to River in one day--in spite of the multiple signs warning people NOT to unless they were amply prepared. If you call having combat boots, a canteen of water and a granola bar prepared, then they were all set. Needless to stay, it's a very funny story--especially if you get the two of them together to tell it. Little did I know when I asked him about his tale, that in only a few short days I would be visiting what is billed as Vermont's Grand Canyon, and would be able to hike the Quechee Gorge rim to river trail myself--without combat boots, a water bottle or a granola bar! Below is a picture from the river. Earlier, we stood on the bridge to look below on either side. The link has a nice picture of the waterfall at the beginning of the trail.


The trip was fantastic, and the area was beautiful--even though it was past fall foliage peak. It was so nice, in fact, that Ted and I booked a hotel room in the area for next June to take the family for a weekend excursion.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hopefully you got to spend more time at the river then TR and my Chevy Chase "Vacation"-style glance. Cheers, Jeffy