Pages

Sunday, January 25, 2009

Freedom Rink: Some call it a Steam Cleaner - I call it a Zamboni

I have been lucky so far that the Ice has stayed in good shape. Part of my research told me that I would have to spend considerable time taking care of the ice. Various tools were described on the internet as ways to recondition the top layer of the ice. As I come into contact with people who have had homemade rinks in the past I ask them what they have done. It usually comes back to a simple water hose technique. That has always scared me because I don't want busted pipes - or anything close to it by running water from my spigot in the winter.



After days and days of hockey mixed with some warmer temps I could tell the ice needed some attention. One of the lessons I've picked up is to use warm/hot water instead of cold water. It helps to make a smoother surface and adheres to the ice better when it refreezes.

Knowing this made me wonder about a tool we had available in the house. I asked Kristi a few times if she would mind me using the Carpet steamer. Usually she just rolled her eyes and didn't say much. Well, yesterday I decided to take the Hoover for a spin. The thing I like about it is that it lays down a thin layer of hot water. The brushes help smooth the surface as well. It is very portable and the water mess is mostly contained in the house (in the sink) and not outside where pipes can freeze and cause major damage.
The down side is that the tank of hot water is very small and I have to keep refilling it. I also have to manage power cords out to the ice, but I think it is a better trade than the water hose (I already have two of those frozen in the garage thanks to this project). This picture helps you to see the difference it makes. Kind of a before and after shot.

During one of the tank refill trips, I heard Kristi grumble, "If I could just get him to use this in the house!"

No comments: