Pages

Monday, February 9, 2009

4


Tonight was the first game of intramural basketball. I did not get a chance to play last year - I was in the Command Section on the base and worked all the time (whine), plus the "staff" didn't have lots of eager B-Ball players. The wing I am in this year has many eager players, about 15 on the team roster. That seems like too many but with travel and out of town meetings there will be time when it is tough to form a team. Turns out there were 12 players there tonight. I'm completely an unknown to these guys. On top of that, I'm not the youngest, tallest or basketbally looking kind of guy - I was guessing I would not play much. I did get to play in the first half for just a few minutes. A few touches but nothing spectacular. With under 5 minutes in the second half in a closely contested game I got a second chance. I had two consecutive plays where I came off a pick under the basket, caught the ball on the wing and drove in for a layup. Wahoo! I'll add that I went around this giant of a guy on the opposing team in my best up and under small guy move. He had swatted out a few other players' shots - but we were trying to force into him and get him fouled out. I played another possession or two and then came out. I had my few minutes of fame and wanted to share the love. We won. 1-0 to start the season - Wahoo. I was jersey #4 and scored 4 points. Coincidence? I don't think so.
(The pic is from way back in 2004 - but it is a similar representation of the dazzling display of skills put on tonight)

No comments: