Pages

Thursday, July 9, 2009

When Life Gives You Lemons

Make a Lemonade Stand!

That's what the girls have been eager to do now that summer break has finally arrived. Riley has been asking for a while, and I've been successfully putting it off for a while. When she pulled out her American Girls Guide to Making Money book to reread, I knew I wouldn't be able to put it off much longer.

Earlier this week, right after swimming lessons we began the cookie making, popcorn popping and powdered drink mixing for the Snack Stop, as they've named it. By lunch time the girls were set up at the top of the hill, yelling "snack stop" at every passing vehicle.
They were not snookered by the older boys who "promised" to bring money tomorrow for a cookie today (kind of like Wimpy, but the girls don't know about him and that makes me feel old), yet they were also generous with offerings of a free cookie and lemonade to the mail lady, Dorrie, and some of the guys mowing the common areas
The days that followed were all rainy, nasty days, so I'm glad we didn't put it off another day. I've already let them know that they'll need to buy cups for any future Snack Stops--my supply was demolished.

No comments: