Pages

Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Be Like Mike

An added bonus to the USO tour was a visit by the Chairman of The Joint Chiefs – Admiral Mike Mullen. While I was in line someone in the back of the room yelled – standby for the Chairman of the Joint Chiefs…he 30 seconds out. Most of us in line had no idea he was even coming. So we were all kind of surprised. I was still waiting to shake the Commish’s hand, so I wasn’t sure I would get to see ADM Mullen. But I spent my time and finished with the celebs then headed to the mass gaggle in the back of the room. There were people crowded all around. He was handing out Coins and hamming it up for camera shots. There was not really an organized line but more a mass of people swarming around him. I wormed my way to the front as he worked the crowd. I finally got a chance to say hello and he was asking people where are you from? What are you deployed for/where to? He commented that we were doing great things at Bucca. Not sure if that was just a canned answer or he actually believed that. I’m sure he’s been briefed on camp B if not visited already. Regardless he was attempting to make small talk and be nice to the troops. One of my buds snapped a photo in the chaos. Getting a coin from the CJCS is a pretty neat thing, so it was a nice bonus to the already cool day with the USO tour.

Current tent score:
MNFRC = 3
Mice = 0

No comments: