Pages

Sunday, July 20, 2008

So what would you say you do here?


Now that I have been home for a few days I thought I would share some thoughts about what I did while I was there.

Big picture…we provided a review of the detainee’s case. Every 6 months the cases were reviewed in person. A three member panel would read the case file and hear from the detainee. Just as my quote on CNN said…these guys were not convicted of a crime, they have just been held because they were determined to be a threat. The six month review provided a new assessment of that “threat.” If we said they remained a threat they were held for another 6 months, if we recommended release then another process was kicked off that could result in release fore them. We reviewed many aspects of their case to include the reasons they were originally detained as well as their behavior since being put in detention. There were many programs in the facility to help teach them reading, writing, some trade skills, and other things. We were able to take all those things into consideration. I am convinced the process was real. The detainee knew I was the best and quickest way out of lockup (as opposed to Self-Release [the PC term for escape]). Although I was not the final authority, my recommendation was carried forth a majority of the time.

I can’t talk about specific cases, but I can say that I saw the full ends of the spectrum (in many areas). I heard from poor sheep-herders that could not read and write to successful business-men with multiple degrees, from civilians to high ranking military members, from people in the lower classes to ranking members of the political parties, from people who I though were in the wrong place at the wrong time to people I clearly thought were responsible for committing acts of violence against US soldiers. I can honestly say I have seen my fair share of “terrorists.” And there is not a cut and dry formula for “what they look like.”

I learned a few things:
1. War is an ugly thing. It causes people to do bad things regardless of their original intentions. The people who want war the least…are the soldiers who have to fight it.
2. You never know what tomorrow will bring. Live for the day and enjoy what you have, before the sun rises another day your world may be turned upside down.
3. The AF clearly treats people better than the Army.
4. Most people just want simple things in life, a decent place to live and work and to be able to enjoy their family.
5. If people do not take responsibility for their own actions or at least take notice of the actions of the people around them – really really bad things start to happen.

To hear more you have to come visit me in person…and bring beer.

No comments: