Pages

Monday, July 14, 2008

A Different Kind of Cache

Many of you who know me know I enjoy a hobby called Geocaching (visit http://www.geocaching.com/ ). It’s like a high tech treasure hunt kind of game. People hide things and place the coordinates on the website. You use your GPS to go find them and log your visit. While I was sitting around fighting the boredom I decided to see if there were any caches in the area. Thanks to the technology of the web I can see multiple cache’s are located within easy walk of my tent. The one downside is I do not have a GPS device with me. No way to get a fix on the hide spots. But I did not let that deter me. I used my expert caching skills and cheated a little using hints and comments on the website to focus my search. The other tough part is the freakin heat. It’s too hot to be wandering around outside in the daylight and the darkness makes Geocaching a little difficult. I’ve looked for three of the different caches and I was successful in finding one of them. I haven’t given up on the others, but they have so few visits and no pictures for me get to clues from…I’m not optimistic about my chances for success.
I took some pics. Here’s the general area of the cache (it’s called Welcome To The Rock). I also took the cache container back to the tent to show the others what I was up to. That allowed me to photo the cache with a little bear I picked up for my youngest Titanfan. It was nice to be focusing on a cache that was fun and supposed to be found unlike the weapons caches that I read about for the last 6 months.
Today should be the last full day of wait. Tomorrow is supposed to be final out processing then begins the multi-day journey home.

No comments: