Pages

Sunday, May 18, 2008

Can I see your driver’s license and registration?


Traveling in a foreign country can be very interesting. As we toured the sights yesterday I was able to see many unique things. From the men in full man-dress to women in Abaya’s head to toe. We hit some local markets and shopping, some scenic views, a restaurant and then the fun really began.

On our bus trip back to the base we hit a major traffic jam. At first we think no problem, just a short delay. Then our driver takes the bus off-road…just to get around the traffic (and get us back on time I am sure). Then we merge back into traffic because we see a police snap-checkpoint (non permanent) set up in the middle of the road (a three lane highway). So we need to go thru the checkpoint.

I can’t hear the conversation because I was farther back and I don’t speak Arabic, but this was my interpretation from watching the hand gestures:

Police: Let me see your papers
Driver: (hands a single ID looking thing to police)
Police: (in a more direct manner) let me see your real papers
Driver: (hands another piece of ID looking card to police)
Police: (in a very harsh voice) No give me your drivers card
Driver: (hands a third piece of paper sheepishly to police)
Police: Pull over there with the rest of the criminals

Ok – so here we are – a minibus full of Americans on a “tour” through this arab country. Our driver apparently did not have his “papers” in order and our bus is forced to join the mass of undocumented workers on the side of the road in other large buses. This area is under massive construction (imagine vegas - desert and non-stop growth). So there are many foreigners here on work visas. I am sure many of them do not have the proper approvals. So as we wait in our bus on the side of the road we see these workers hoofing it down the side of the highway trying to jump on other moving buses past the checkpoint. It was quite comical (also a little crazy at this point because we don’t know how this will end). Our driver decides to leave. He’s going to go “work it out” with the police (after making a few phone calls on his cell to his bosses). We sit and watch more guys in colored jumpsuits walk around our bus and point at all the girls (especially a red-head who was sitting in the front). A few minutes later our “guide” also decides to go help his colleague “work things out.” Now we are really starting to wonder. Will these guys ever come back. It’s just us - the tourists on the bus now – no locals. We jokingly discuss just driving off…but we don’t really know how to get back (direction wise)…nor do we know what other stops might await us farther down the road.

After 5 minutes or so our guide comes back and says they are working it out. He looks quite disturbed and his demeanor and words don’t erase our concern for things going really bad here. But then 10 minutes later our driver comes back and we are able to proceed on. A few minutes later we learn the driver’s license was not so clean.

I was concerned for our safety somewhat, but mostly felt sorry for the tour guys. I am sure they will either lose the contract with the base or at least the driver/guide will loose his job. We were just a few missteps away from some international incident I am sure. I am also sure the girls in the bus didn’t feel too happy. But they did have lots of guys who were confident we could hold off the scrawny locals for quite a few minutes if needed. The base would soon “miss” us and track us down.

So it all ends well…no harm done and I now have a great story. Soon to be embellished by time and R&R beers.

No souvenirs. It all looked just junky to me. I am sure the kids will be sad. Oh well. They’ll be happy to see me right?

No comments: