Pages

Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Happiness is a relative term

You know some people are just never happy. I heard someone say "there's nothing to do here"
I was really confused because I think the services guys have at least tried to set up many fun things to do. They have trips downtown. they have recreation things like bowling, darts, pool, a swimming pool, and many others. Some people are just never happy.

We had some visitors here. The "Survivor" tour. I guess some of the old hacks from past survivor series are going around to the bases. There was a line for people to see them and get pics and all. I don't watch the show so it was weird to me, but I can see how others might have some interest. But do I really want an autographed picture of people who can out-connive (making up words), scam and cheat other scoundrels into winning some money?

I spent a few minutes emailing buddies while on R&R. You forget how life just goes on for everyone else while yours is kind of put on hold. They travel, have kids, finish school programs, and all the normal parts of life while most of my life seems to be sitting still. The kids grow and K does all the hard part of keeping them mostly healthy and happy. But my life is kind of in suspended animation. I'm removed from most parts of your everyday life and live this crazy groundhog day existence over and over. That's a part of this war that is lost on many I think. When I return I want to the world to stop and take notice that I am back. But I know they won't. They'll just say - yeah we've been here working and living - where have you been? Thanks for your service. Please get back to normal soon. And I know I'm just on a short tour. I cannot imagine the changes for the Army guys who are on rotation 3 or 4 each 12-18 months long. Maybe this is just me and my - people are never happy.

watched the movie Vantage Point yesterday. It was good. Although I like most movies. It was a little over the top in believability but that's what we have come to expect. Anyway I was just HAPPY to see a movie on a nice big screen (but let me complain for a minute about the sound system...:)

No comments: