Pages

Monday, May 5, 2008

Cinco De May-o

As I was daydreaming today of Chipotle (the restaurant – not the peppers) it occurred to me that today was 5 May and I should have Mexican food for dinner. I checked the menu while at work – pork chops, baked chicken (always), and some other non Mexican dish. Hmmm – that’s not what I want. I did notice the “taco bar” on a side dish menu – so there was some light at the end of the tunnel. I strolled into the D-FAC eagerly looking for a surprise. Maybe the food servers had realized that 5 May was important to us Mexican food lovers. As I rounded the rack where I get my tray and spied the main course line I was rewarded with what looked like a Mexican buffet. Beef enchiladas (not my favorite but a good backup) was first…hmmm better take it in case there is nothing else. Some baked chicken (standard) and then some pork chops and finally some fajita like meats. They had Spanish rice and some refried beans, but no taco bar like I wanted. I surveyed the hot sandwich line. Nothing of interest. I went to a second hot food line and they had the same but also had some chicken quesadillas (more like a fried chalupa) – ok I’ll take two of those. Then my next option was the salad line – sometimes they have taco meat. I found some nacho cheese – but no tacos. Hmmm. Oh wait they usually have a 7 layer dip at the other end of the salad bar. So I head that way. Then out of the corner of my eye I spy – the taco bar – in a not so usual spot. Well my plate was already full…but I really wanted the taco meat. So I piled it on top. Then back to the 7-layer dip for some “toppings.” Some people added Near Beer for a special touch of celebration – I just enjoyed a DP like always.

It wasn’t Chipotle…but it was enough.

Finished a Ted Dekker book – The Martyr’s Song. It was good. Not the normal Dekker suspense and much shorter. But it was recommended as the first to be read if you were to start the series. Next up Inside Delta Force (back to the war novels J).

No comments: