Pages

Thursday, June 19, 2008

The Replacements

After many days of waiting some of the new guys showed up. Hooray! They get just a few short weeks and then they are the old hats. It also means that we get to leave soon. Wahoo. I had a day off today. Nothing special just went to the gym and then out to the office to check email and meet the new guys. Tomorrow I get to spend some quality time with them in training and helping them understand the crazy job we have. I watched one of the Marine Ospreys go in and out today. That’s the one that has a cool rotating propeller to perform both vertical takeoffs and then fly horizontally like an airplane. I was in good position to get a movie of the liftoff when – beep – the batteries died. Oh well. I’ll keep the memory in my mind since I can’t share the picture with you.

Time to get philosophical for a few minutes. I’ve been thinking a lot about sacrifices and the needs of the many vs the needs of the few. As I read the book about the failed hostage rescue in Iran and those that risked all to save just 54 I am honored to serve with those that were willing to step into harms way to save people like that. At the same time I consider my daily job here and the needs of the many or should I say safety of the many versus the freedom of one. I don’t have a major point, just something I’ve been pondering. It’s a recurring theme in some books and videos I’ve seen lately. Sometimes sacrifice is necessary, and that’s a good thing. I think many of the locals here need to learn that lesson. Unfortunately the enemy has learned it and uses it effectively against us with suicide bombers. Somehow we have to instill that same sense of sacrifice to do good in the country. They are working on it, but they have a long way to go.

No comments: