Pages

Tuesday, June 24, 2008

RHIP

The last of the JUN inbounds made it here today. He’s the Lt Col of the group. He’s a pilot and seems like a really nice guy. As I was helping him get settled today something funny happened. Right after I picked him up I asked, “Have you been to billeting?” (a place to sleep and a good meal – always first on the new guy checklist). He said no. So off we go to billeting. I warned him that some of us had to wait months for a POD. So in we go, I introduce him and mention the unit we are from and that he is permanent (not one of the MNFRC guys that comes in for just a week or so). They clickety-clickety on the keyboard a few thousand times (like the airline agents in the airport). They ask a few questions to clarify spelling. Then they bring over a key and a hand receipt. He got a POD day one. Granted O-5’s get a single POD and there are not many O-5’s here so that rotation is quicker – I get that. But then here is the real interesting part. He asks about sheets and bedding. I’m about to jump in and mention we can go buy some at the PX if he doesn’t have any (in his defense some of his bags are coming after him so maybe that is why he asked). But before I can say anything the guy behind the counter says, “Sir, your bed is already made up.”

I understand that things are different for the higher ranks, and I know I am an officer and things are easier for me than for the lower ranks, but the “your bed is already made” was a little over the top for me. Ahhh life in the military where ‘Rank Has Its Privileges.’

One side note – thanks to Jim for the car magazines. I don’t read them as much as Chuck, but I browse through the leftovers sometimes.

No comments: