Pages

Friday, April 11, 2008

And now for the rest of the story...

Let me try to tell more of the story with CNN. I had his name wrong. It's actually Nic Robertson. Anyway he and his news crew came to Bucca and went on a tour with one of the leaders of the detainee operations. The MNFRC was on the tour. Once we knew a good schedule my board kind of stopped and waited until they showed up.

We let them come in, the General introduced himself to the board members, then intro'd the CNN crew. They got the 2 cameras setup in the back and had quite a few handlers/producers/people crammed into a tiny space in the back of the room. I explained how the flow would go to the reporter, then the General said it's your room Major. So we did the rest just like we always do. Afterwards the reporter brought his large camera up and set it up right next to the table, about 2 feet away from my face. He pulled his wireless microphone off and asked if I could slip that into my shirt. He then asked me a few questions about the board. Was it a normal representation? How important is it to talk face to face with them? What my opinions were of the board and so on. He scribbled my name and some notes...and then they thanked us and left in a hurry. My sidekick Brandon was on the board with me that day, plus another (standard is to have three members). CNN spent multiple hours across the base so I am sure the piece from the board will be one small snipet from the overall news story. The worst part here is we don't get CNN all the time. The news channel rotates amongst the major US news channels. So if you see something let me know. We've been checking CNN.Com to see if they have something, but nothing so far.

We've all debated what snipets they will pull and what soundbites are going to be included. As you might imagine, I've taken my share of "ribbing" already. I'm sure more will come if they edit it and make me look silly.

I'm kind of interested for the vanity of it - but mostly I am curious about what they show of the board becuase I want all of you to see what I do and how it works.

No comments: