Pages

Monday, April 7, 2008

Writings - New and Old

I don’t know if you had a chance to check out the reporter’s blog, but Jennifer Grogan from The Day (a New London, CT newspaper) is here doing a series of stories (if you click on her name you can see all her recent stories about Bucca). She came out to the courthouse and spent a few minutes in my room. She watched a couple of cases and then asked me questions in between. I hadn’t practiced my American justice speech, and apparently it wasn’t very impressive since none of my words made it into the story. She did quote our questions. I think she might have been scared of saying too much specific stuff about the board members. We made a point for her to be careful of names and things for obvious reasons; others she has interviewed have apparently have not been so restrictive. Anyway you should check out her series of stories about Bucca. Some of you will find it interesting. I’ve found reading the comments by readers to be much more entertaining.

Some of the more battle-hardened TEA fans were less than pleased at the K-Mart blog. I’m torn, I know many of you have never been to a place like this and are curious about the smallest details of life in a war-zone, while others only want my witty humor (ok well maybe there aren’t too many people saying that, but you should be) and insights on life. I’ll try to balance the two and all of you will just have to get along.

I continue to read war books while deployed. I’m not sure if that helps me or not. I’ve always said I feel lucky to be in the military in the modern day times. Not sure I would have liked it as much in the ancient Greek times. I’m reading Gates of Fire (thanks to some faithful TEA readers). This self titled “Epic Novel of The Battle of Thermopylae” is a book about ancient wars between the Persians and the Greeks. I’m ¼ through it and am constantly reminded how hard war was back then. The Spartans train incessantly for hand to hand, face to face combat. The last section I read discussed how Spartans didn’t really care for intel and who the enemy was or what they were like. They treated all enemies the same and killed them all as quickly and efficiently as they could. In today’s war we frustrate and overthink things so much. The other thing of note is the children. They were thrust into war at such an early age. It seems different for me today in modern times, because I’m well over 30, but I have to remember many who “fight” this war are still just young kids not much more than 18.

Overcast with some sprinkles in the air and very moderate temps today. I predict Memphis will win by at least 8 points.

No comments: