Pages

Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Simple thoughts from 23 Apr 08

Temps are really starting to rise. It will be in the 100s regularly from now on from what I can tell. I watched the Simpson’s Movie last night. Most of you know I am a Simpsons Connoisseur – and I loved it. I had to stop the movie a couple of times I was laughing so hard. When the comic book guy said “thanks for the pregnancy pants…I’ve never felt comfort like this” – Oh – I was in tears. Maybe because I have 4 kids and I’m familiar with those pants from K or something, I don’t know. It was funny.

Hit the gym again today. Also had some more shots from the clinic. It’s not enough that you have to get all these crazy immunizations before you deploy…if you go short notice like I did, then you get the joy of more and more shots while you are far from home. Anthrax#3 today. Also cleaned my weapon so it’s free of dust for at least ½ a day.

I’m at the exciting conclusion of the Gates of Fire book I’ve been reading. But I’m one of those people that can put a book down at any point and not feel frustrated. So I’ve milked the final day of battle now for a few days. I would say many in the current military have no idea what it was like to be devoted as the Spartans were back then. The fear of public disgrace motivated them more than any leader. Towards the end it has a discussion of what is the opposite emotion of fear. It claims – Love. Not what you expect from a bloody, gory, vulgar book on war, but that is what it says. I would recommend this book to most. (some will find the imagery and language too vulgar). If you liked the movie 300 – the book is great.

No comments: