Pages

Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Morning Hip-Hop

Another item of interest in deployed life is the radio. I’m not sure if I discussed this yet or not – if so oh well – hopefully this will be more funny this time.

Thanks to Good Morning Vietnam, when you think of Armed Forces Radio you think of Adrian Cronauer (SP?) and his comedy act. But do you remember the other parts of the movie where the other DJs are on and the music/voice over guys are very dry and play music that people are not interested. Ok that is what I want to talk about. I have a small clock radio in my POD and all I can pick up is Armed Forces Radio. They are based a couple of places across the country and then some sort of boost broadcast is run out of here so I can pick it up. Well they have to appeal to all kinds so they play all types of music. It is crazy. They go from Rap and Hip Hop to Country to Classic Rock. It’s kind of annoying because you never know what you are going to get and rarely is it entertaining for more than a few minutes. Chuck and I are always amused at the morning selection of rap followed by some mellow pop music. One of the things they do that I enjoy listening to is this stupid comedy skit about a super-hero called Chicken-Man. It’s totally silly and therefore I enjoy it. I’m happy they have it (AFR), but I wish they would program a little more and play more than one song of a genre in a row. If I don’t like it then I can just move on. If fact maybe I should just move on. (BTW – I’m playing some Frank Sinatra on my laptop as I type this – no old Blue Eyes on AFR that I have heard).

I worked out today for the first time since being sick. My normal 3+ mile run is usually invigorating. Not today. It was a killer just to get to 3 miles. Yuck. I’ll have to work hard to get back into form quickly. I felt like a slacker.

The new guards are working hard to make some changes around the workplace. It is neat to see them interested in making things “better” and putting their own special touch on the place.

No comments: