Pages

Monday, March 10, 2008

How many KBR contractors does it take to change a lightbulb?

You know I am an acquisition guy and big military contracts are something I am used to. It doesn't surprise me when I hear about waste and abuse and things like that. I also know that the government gets caught up in bad deals sometimes. We over-regulate ourselves so much that we can't get out of our own way. And I usually give people the benefit of the doubt when people claim why are we doing this or why did this contract cost so much. I try to stay positive and focus on the good. But last night was really funny to me and my room-mate.

Just before 11PM local...I was about to head out for a final bathroom hike for the night. While I was locking the door (chuck was out somewhere), I see this truck pull up with lights flashing - remember it's 11 PM and most are asleep or going to sleep soon or already on ther night shift. A guys gets out of the truck and asks me - my POD number. Knowing I had a work order in for a new light I quickly assumed he was here to fix it. After we confirmed he was at the right place...

I am not making this up. What was your guess to the title question?

The correct answer was - 4. One to hold the clipboard, one to supervise the clipboard guy, one to hold the new/bad bulb, and one to stand on the ladder and replace the bulb. Keep in mind the pod is only 8ish feet tall. And Chuck could reach the light bulb standing on his feet.

Maybe it's a union thing - Judge Lisa can you help me with that one?

No comments: