Pages

Friday, March 28, 2008

Lord of the Flies

I know this will be gross but I try to give you some insight into what the average day is like. One thing I have not talked about much are the small critters we have to battle constantly.

I don’t know why they are so prevalent, but we have flies – everywhere out at the courthouse. I think it’s related to the cesspool outside the wire (but that is a different post). It could also be related to the food and drinks we have out there everyday and the trash sits in the sun for a while and well you know the flies just seem to always show up. Today I took some pictures of the little things. We have to deal with them in our small office.

We have to deal with them in our break lunch area. This is a table where we sometimes eat lunch. As you can see by the end of the lunch time the table is covered in flies. It’s really gross. All those black spots are flies. I usually can’t stand it and just go somewhere else. I’ll prefer to sit and eat in the sun than fight with these guys.

And we have to deal with them pretty much everywhere. Here you can also see the boxes they bring out for lunch everyday.
We use these strips to help trap them. We also have the standard issue fly-swatters that we use to control the population. One of the guys ordered a fly zapper and put it in the office. We all say a little cheer when they get zapped. They aren’t as bad around the pods, but I wonder if that is because we are farther from the cesspool?
Anyway the shooing of flies is a constant battle. Blech!

No comments: